The IMB-CNM Integrated Clean Room includes equipment for micro and nanofabrication processes mainly based on silicon technologies for wafers of 100mm and 150mm, but can also operate with substrates of different materials and sizes on demand. Its structure allows flexible operation, which makes it especially suitable for R+D+i.
Thermal Processes and CVD
The following thermal and Chemical Vapour Deposition based processes are available:
- Oxidation, annealing and diffusion processes on tubular furnaces.
- Deposition of silicon oxides and nitrides, polycrystalline silicon and BPSG on LPCVD and PECVD systems.
- Deposition of high-k dielectrics on a thermal ALD system.
- High temperature RTP processes for SiC technology.
Two medium current ion implantation systems are available for implanting a number of species: B, P, As, N, Ar, Al, Si, Mg, O, He.
A number of dry etching (plasma-based) systems and processes are available:
- Reactive Ion Etching (RIE) systems for aluminum, polysilicon, silicon oxide and silicon nitride materials.
- Deep reactive Ion Etching (DRIE) systems for deep silicon and silicon dioxide etching.
- Photoresist ashing.
Inspection and measurement
- Optical Microscopy
- Thin film thickness measurement by Spectral Reflectance
- Spectral Ellipsometry
- 3D optical Profilometry
- Mechanical Profilometry
- FT-IR Spectroscopy
- Sheet Resistance measurement
- Bow and Thickness measurement
- Life Time measurement
Metal thin films of a variety of materials can be deposited by Physical Vapor Deposition techniques on either DC and DC/RF sputtering systems, or on thermal and e-beam evaporation systems.
Various microsystems-specific processes are available:
- Silicon anisotropic wet etching with alkaline solutions.
- Surface micromachining (sacrificial layer etching).
- Critical point drying for releasing micromachined structures.
- Lift-off etching processes.
The following processes are available for achieving sub-100 nm resolution:
- Electron beam lithography (EBL)
- AFM based nanofabrication
- Nanoimprint lithography
- Focused Ion Beam (FIB)
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
Wet Etching and Cleaning Processes
- Wet etching processes consisting on isotropic chemical attacks in aqueos solution of a variety of materials.
- Microelectronic fabrication cleaning processes and photoresist removal
The following systems are available for standard optical lithography:
- Automatic coater/developer system
- Contact/proximity and double-side contact/proximity mask aligners
- i-line Stepper
- Mask-Less Laser Lithography (i-line)
- Automatic mask cleaner
- Wafer dicing.
- Die bonding processes, including SMD and flip-chip die assembly.
- Wire bonding.
- Device Characterization and parameter extraction.
- Parametric test of fabricated wafers.
- Test structure design and characterisation.
- Development of new measurement techniques.